- Author Bio
- AUTHOR APPEARANCES
- Q & A
- CONTACT ME
- Adult Novel Summaries
- GAGA Excerpt
- Epiphany Excerpt
- Knock on Wood Excerpt
- Dream a Little Dream Excerpt
- Fishwife Excerpt
- Young Adult Novel Summaries
- I am Elephant, I am Butterfly Excerpt
- Upside Down in a Laura Ingalls Town Excerpt
- Catch Me Excerpt
- Feral Maril and Her Little Brother Carol
Welcome to my website!
Click the link above or here: Upside Down in a Laura Ingalls Town, my Young Adult historical novel, available in Digital or Paperback! Don't forget to leave a review!
Here's what Publisher's Weekly has to say:
"Brooke's voice feels authentic as she struggles to reconnect with her fractured family, and Manning's historical research shows...an entertaining novel with realistic characters readers should find it easy to invest in."
Here's what readers have to say:
"Upside Down in a Laura Ingalls Town is pure joy!"
"I stayed up late two nights to finish it..."
"The perfect coming-of-age story no matter what your age."
"A wonderful journey back in time!"
Who am I?
* I received my BA in Theater from California State Long Beach, the primary focus on play-writing and directing.
* I taught high school and college English for nine years and currently work as a private writing tutor.
* I pound the keys four days a week, three to four hours a day, without fail.
* I write both Adult and Young Adult novels.
* I am blessed to have an amazing literary agent.
Who am I outside of work?
* The happy wife of a designer.
* The middle child in a family of all girls (You're a champ, Dad!).
* A lover of all that is newsworthy, historic, musical, heart-warming, kitty-catish, or super-duper weird.
* A traveler who enjoys a hefty backpack slung over her shoulder and a chunk of cheese to eat on the train.
What I am working on NOW:
* Marketing Upside Down in a Laura Ingalls Town
* Outlining a new YA to begin September, 2016.
Laughter, nature, kindness, diligence, open-mindedness, pro-activity, physical and mental exercise, honesty (including with oneself). Oh, and facial hair. On my hubby, that is!
Litter-bugs, whiners, mean girls (and boys), laziness, those who say they want the world to change, then sit on their duffs waiting for change to happen, and then complain when it doesn't!
Random junk you may not know about me, and honestly may not care enough to read:
* At nineteen I moved from Maryland to California to become an actress.
* By twenty-one I had become an award-winning waitress.
* I did not discover I was a writer until the age of thirty-four and a half.
* I escaped the Wild West for the Sleepy South for artistic inspiration and sweet tea.
* I love playing the violin or piano...when no one is listening!
* If I wasn't married, I'd have ten cats. Though that is merely a rough estimate.
* My very first novel hides in my closet and has never been seen by my agent.
* I have never EVER had writer's block. I swear.
Websites that are important to me:
North Carolina Arts Council
Craven County Arts Council
Bobby Field, Marcus Mizelle, Jennifer Argenti, Micah Brown, Jay Kenton Manning
Note about the artwork on this website:
I do my best to get permission to use art work on this site, and have added links to their respective websites. If I have overlooked someone, or have misrepresented in any way, please let me know. Most artists are happy to share, as long as I am not currently selling anything related to their work. So a special shout-out goes to the artists whose work I've used to make my website best reflect who I am.
Enough about me, let's talk about my books:
* All are a bit off the mainstream path
* Punctuated by quirky characters and filled with unexpected twists.
* Mingling of the psychological with the para-psychological.
* I am a self-proclaimed dabbler.
Listen to this fun podcast of my women's fiction, GAGA!
Now go have a look-see!!