Thanks for visiting!
Who am I in brief?
I am an award-winning novelist who loves writing about grown-ups who crave change and often get it in ways they never expected (GAGA and DREAM A LITTLE DREAM). I also write about teenagers who believe in independence, often stumbling into it headfirst (UPSIDE DOWN IN A LAURA INGALLS TOWN and CATCH ME).
No matter what, I love writing about human beings who at first feel the need to depend on another, but soon learn to depend on themselves. My stories' endings aren’t always what you’d expect them to be, but then again, neither is real life!
Want to know more?
*I received my BA in Theater from California State Long Beach, the primary focus on play-writing and directing.
* I taught high school and college English for nine years and currently work as a private writing and study skills tutor.
* I pound the keys four days a week, two to three hours a day, without fail.
* I am blessed to have an amazing literary agent.
Who am I outside of work?
* The happy wife of an adorable artist.
* The middle child in a family of all girls (You were a champ, Dad!).
* A lover of all that is newsworthy, historic, musical, heart-warming, kitty-catish, or super-duper weird.
* A traveler who enjoys a hefty backpack slung over her shoulder and a chunk of cheese to eat on the train.
What I am working on NOW:
*Marketing two new books to be released summer, 2017:
Dream a Little Dream (Women's Historical Fiction with a psychological twist): The line between dream and wake becomes blurred when a post-WWII "Rosie" falls into the magical world of her subconscious mind.
Catch Me (Young Adult 16+): A high school girl who suffers from syncope (acute fainting spells) finds herself caught up in a mystery surrounding a deadly string of suspicious fires in her small Southern town.
*Agent currently shopping an ABNA Finalist Young Adult novel from my back list
Laughter, nature, kindness, diligence, open-mindedness, pro-activity, physical and mental exercise, honesty (including with oneself). Oh, and facial hair. On my hubby, that is!
Litter-bugs, whiners, mean girls (and boys), lazy asses, those who say they want the world to change, then sit on their duffs waiting for change to happen, and then complain when it doesn't!
Random junk you may not know about me, and honestly may not care enough to read:
* At nineteen I moved from Maryland to California to become an actress.
* By twenty-one I had become an award-winning waitress.
* I did not discover I was a writer until the age of thirty-four and a half.
* I escaped the Wild West for the Sleepy South for artistic inspiration and sweet tea.
* I love playing the violin or piano...when no one is listening!
* My very first novel hides in my closet and has never been seen by my agent.
* I have never EVER had writer's block. I swear.
Listen to this fun podcast discussing my women's fiction novel, GAGA!
Check out this television interview where I discuss my Young Adult novel, Upside Down in a Laura Ingalls Town (forward to 30:30).
Other cool places you can find me: